Rev. Gina Milligan articulates another story from Your Aladdin’s Lamp. Bill Hornaday’s lesson from a Buddhist which ultimately led him to study with Ernest Holmes. Rev. Gina then takes a spin on the story, tying it to our own church and the growth that is happening from within.
Rev. Gina Milligan recounts a story from Your Aladdin’s Lamp in which Dr. Ernest Holmes imparts universal wisdom on a young man who is living his life mad at God.
Early Gnostic Christians believed that love is present in 6 aspects of expression:
- Agape – the purest, highest love; it is a spiritual love, the love God has for us.
- Philia – also known as ‘brotherly love.’
- Charis – love manifesting as grace, devotion and praise for/of God. This is the love which is expressed in the selfless care of others, acts and a life of service, and is the love most present when we practice true forgiveness.
- Eunoia – “Beautiful thinking” in Greek, this is the love that inspires deep compassion and a commitment to the service of the world and all God’s people.
- Storge – “Affection” in Greek, this is a pure love, filled with tenderness and empathy. It is innocent, playful and sweet – and rather magical in feeling, in this minister’s experience!
- Eros – Romantic love.
The question is, when you know and routinely and regularly experience these types of love, how can there be room for any experience outside of happiness? Cliff notes version: happiness becomes the norm.